It’s so easy to buy the stuff in the carton. Instead, try this homemade version. It lasts 3 – 4 days in the fridge, so you have to drink it all up.
- 1.5 cups whole raw almonds
- 4 cups water
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1.5 tbsp pure maple syrup or raw honey, optional
- a dash of cinnamon
- Soak almonds overnight in water to cover.
- The next day, drain and rinse.
- Add almonds + water to blender and blend until combined.
- Pour blender contents into a nut milk bag, over a large bowl.
- The bag will hold the pulp, allowing the liquid to escape into the bowl. Squeeze bag until no liquid remains.
- If using, add vanilla, maple syrup + cinnamon and stir well. Pour milk into glass jar(s) and store in fridge. Keeps for 3-4 days.
I often run the pulp through the blender a second time with 1 cup water to get any remaining nutrients and flavour from the almonds.