Coming from a sugar addicted past, I get a lot of satisfaction from sweet things made with real ingredients.
These squares are made mostly from avocados, which means they’ve got a lot of goodness going on. Avocados are packed full of soluble fibre, which is known as a pre-biotic due to it’s ability to feed the friendly gut bacteria in the intestine. So enjoy these, knowing that they’re void of the empty calories found in most desserts and sugary things.
*Makes 16 Squares*
- 2 c. raw walnuts or pecans
- 1.5 c. pitted Medjool dates
- 2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1 ripe avocado, pitted and peeled
- 1/2 c. cocoa powder
- ½ tsp. ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp. sea salt
- 4 ripe avocados, pitted and peeled
- ⅛ tsp. sea salt
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- ½ cup raw honey, or pure maple syrup, plus more to taste
- crushed, unsalted pistachios, for topping
- In a food processor, or high speed blender, mix all the “crust” ingredients, then pat down in an 8-inch, coconut oil greased, square glass baking pan.
- Next, puree all of the “Filling” ingredients in a food processor, or high speed blender, and spread onto base.
- Crush hulled pistachios in mortar & pestle, or with the flat side of a butcher-style knife (be careful!), and very generously apply on top.
- Cover with tea towel, and freeze for at least 3 hours.
- Cut into 2-inch squares and serve chilled for a craving busting, omega-fat-packed treat!
*Note* Any extras should be stored in the freezer, to keep their freshness and consistency.