You don’t have to have garden ripened tomatoes to make your own fresh salsa. Use a base of organic tomatoes from the grocery store, and add anything else you like. I’ve found mango, and pineapple to be some of the best additions to a spicy homemade salsa. Here’s one of my favourite versions.
- 6 large, organic tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1/2 fresh pineapple, skinned, and roughly chopped
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro
- 1 sweet white onion, roughly chopped
- 1 – 2 jalapeño peppers, seeded, and finely chopped *you can wear gloves
- 2 – 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp chili flakes, or to taste
- 1/3 tsp cumin
- sea salt, to taste
- cracked pepper, to taste
- First, you might want to slap on some gloves, and seed those jalapeño. Mince finely, and set aside. You may also want to spray and wash cutting board with vinegar afterwards. And please, for heaven sakes, don’t touch your face/eyes with hot pepper hands!
- Roughy chop tomatoes, and add to large glass bowl.
- Chop pineapple, onion, cilantro, and mince garlic -then also add to bowl.
- Combine spices, and give it all a good stir. Then, I like to use a potato masher, to extract all the juice -especially from the tomatoes. Mash and mash some more. Stir again, and serve.