I love a hot beverage. This spicy, warming chai is made from green tea leaves instead of black. Feel free to choice your favourite tea to add – if used rooibos before, for a caffeine-free version as well. Double the batch for extra to store in fridge, and re-heat as needed.
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 teaspoon whole cloves
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 4-6 green cardamom pods, crushed
- 10 allspice berries
- 5-6 slices fresh ginger
- 6 pieces of star anise
- 4 cups water
- 1/2 cup loose leaf green tea (or more if you like it strong)
- unsweetened nut milk, or whole, grass-fed milk, and raw honey, to taste
- Add spices and water to medium-size pan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Simmer, covered, for 20 minutes.
- Add loose leaf tea, remove from heat, and steep 4 – 5 minutes, until it reaches your preferred strength.
- Strain into a large mug, add honey, and milk of choice, to taste.