Iron is lost by the body through a variety of ways including: urination, perspiration and exfoliating of old skin cells – like when you’re dry brushing. Bleeding contributes to further loss of iron which is why women tend of have a higher demand for iron than men. Since our bodies can’t produce iron itself, we need to make sure we consume sufficient amounts as part of our daily diet.
This is a wonderful herbal elixir to help increase your iron, especially for women, before and during the menstural cycle.
Recipe From: Meadowsweet Wellness, Chelsea Boyd Gibson
- 500g Organic Blackstrap Molasses *Rich in Iron, Calcium, Magnesium + Manganese*
- 2 Tbsp Dried Nettle leaf *High in Iron + Vitamin C*
- 1 Tbsp Dried Yellow dock root *Increases bile output, assists in digestion + absorption of minerals, gentle laxative effect*
- 1 Tbsp Dried Ashwaganda *High in Iron*
- Add 1.5 cups water to a pot and add the Yellow dock & Ashwaganda. Note – Because it is the root of these plants we are using they require more time to simmer away.
- Allow these to simmer for up to 20 minutes in the pot.
- Then add the Nettle leaf, remove from the heat and cover with a lid. Allow the nettle to infuse into the pot with the other herbs for at least 10 minutes.
- Strain the herbs from the tea and add the tea back to the pot and put on the stove on very low heat.
- Add the molasses and stir. Allow this syrup to heat gently for 10-15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let cool.
- Store the syrup in glass jars and keep refrigerated.
Add 1 Tbsp / day to:
- Morning smoothies, steel cut oats + fresh fruit
- Stir into water and drink as an iron boosting tea
- Try combining with homemade salad dressings
*This elixir is NOT recommended for pregnant women*